Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Vegan Not Andes Mint Cookies - Egg free, soy free and dairy free


Andes Mint Cookies are a tradition for my husband's family and have become one of my favorite Christmas cookies too. We wanted to be able to share this tradition with Little Rhino so I set out to make them egg free and soy free and a little bit healthier. Well, maybe not healthier but perhaps not quite so bad for you.

A couple of notes: I substituted coconut oil and applesauce for the butter but you could also use margarine. I also used a combination of whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flour. I would have used all whole wheat pastry flour but we were running low. Whole wheat pastry flour is lighter and fluffier and will taste like all purpose flour but without all the nutrients stripped away. Any combination of whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour will work well here.

I used Lake Champlain Peppermint Crunch chocolate bars. The bars have 8 squares, and I broke each of the squares in half. If you would like less chocolate, then break each square into fourths and then you'll need 2 chocolate bars.


Vegan Andes Mint Cookies
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. non-dairy milk (I used rice milk.)
12 oz. chocolate chips
1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 mint chocolate bars

In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the coconut oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and milk. Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted. Let stand 10 minutes to cool. Mix together the remaining ingredients except the chocolate bars. Add the melted chocolate and mix. Chill the dough for at least 1 hour. Roll the dough into balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 8-9 minutes. Break the chocolate mint squares in half. Remove cookies from the oven and place a chocolate mint piece on top of each cookie. Allow the mint to melt and then swirl the mint over the cookie with the back of a spoon or knife.


Fresh out of the oven.

Mints are melting.

The tasty end result.
Proud to be apart of:

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! My daughter is allergic to milk, eggs, and nuts. So I am always on the look-out for recipes friendly to her. Did you use special chocolate chips? Also how much margarine would you use instead of the coconut oil/applesauce. We don't give her coconut due to her allergies.
    Thanks again for the great recipe, and thanks for posting to the Incredible Cookie Party!

    Ashley
    http://cuteasafox.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I too am also always on the look out for egg and soy free recipes.

    You can substitute an equal amount of margarine for the applesauce and coconut. I used Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate baking chips. They don't contain dairy but are made on the same equipment that makes products containing milk.

    Let me know what you think of the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really yummy! Luckily my son's not allergic to anything {yet!}, but I'm always looking for ways to make things healthier, even just the littlest bit. Thank you for sharing this on Homemade Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes it hard for me not to chew my computer screen.

    ReplyDelete